Washington, D.C.– The Employee-Owned S Corporations of America (ESCA) released two new videos today to highlight the critical role that private, employee-owned companies play in the American economy. Today, more than 800,000 employee-owners at S corporation companies across every major industry reap the benefits of employee ownership through an employee stock ownership plan (ESOP). Both Republicans and Democrats agree that, as proven job-creators for the American middle class and a vital source of retirement savings, ESOPs are a powerful solution for economic growth. Legislation already introduced in Congress, the Promotion and Expansion of Private Employee Ownership Act (S. 1589 and H.R. 2092), would incentivize S corporation business owners to sell their stock to an ESOP and provide additional technical assistance for companies interested in forming an S ESOP.
The first of ESCA’s videos illuminates the diversity of industries where ESOPs empower workers to achieve the American Dream by sharing in ownership of their companies. The second video features employee-owners of Wawa (Wawa, PA), Garney Construction(Kansas City, MO), and Vermeer Texas-Louisiana (Irving, TX) in their own words reflecting on the unparalleled retirement security they have from participating in their ESOP.
Head to ESCA’s video library to watch the videos.
Key comments from the employee-owners are below:
- “I feel confident about retiring young so that I can go enjoy my life.” —Wawa employee
- “Just knowing that I’ve already got a great base started with my retirement—that’s an awesome feeling.” —Garney Construction employee
- “I’m not 100 percent positive that things like Social Security will be there whenever I’m ready to retire. This is a guaranteed way that I know I’m taking care of my future.” —Vermeer employee
- “It’s one thing to work for a great company, but it’s another thing to know that your tomorrow is taken care of.” —Wawa employee
- “We always know that we’re going to have a great retirement to settle in to.” —Garney Construction employee
More information about ESCA and ESOPs is available here.